Saturday, June 4, 2011

Pre-Semester Language course

I enjoyed the pre-semester language course that took place in March. Since I hadn’t studied German since December, a refresher course was much needed. The SLI-sponsored program placed students in different classes based on their performance of the onDaF placement test. I thought that my class was suitable for my level; even though some parts were review, any type of review is appreciated. We also looked at a lot of texts, varying from biographies to magazine articles. We also did a lot of conversational activities with partners and amongst the whole class. I found the professor to be very supportive, patient, and humorous. During the pre-semester language course I met many people who I consider to be friends even after the course ended. Because we had all recently arrived, it was comforting to know that everyone felt a bit lost in a new place, and we explored the city together. The class ran from 9:15 in the morning until about 1:00 in the afternoon. We have a break in the middle of the class to break up the long time block. After the first week of classes, we began our Vorlesung or Übung (lecture or seminar/discussion). The SLI offers a variety of courses from which to choose in order to get the full credit for the pre-semester course. I ended up choosing “Geschichtes des deustchen Films” (History of German Films). The class meets every weekday from 16:30-18:00. I found the class to be interesting. There was no final project/paper for this lecture, but attendance was mandatory. The lecture followed German film through the decades, starting with films in the late 1800s and finishing in the 2000s. I have not been exposed to many German films, so this topic was very new and intriguing for me. The professor spoke entirely in German, and every so often I had to consult my dictionary. Other than a few unknown words, I was able to grasp most of the synopses he described.



After class we had a break for a few hours before my lecture started at 4:30. The lecture  runs until 6:00 pm, so it's a bit late) and the topic is "Geschichtes des deutschen Films" (history of German films). The class was very interesting, and it met every week day until the end of March.

No comments:

Post a Comment