Saturday, June 4, 2011

University Buildings

The university is much like any other city university in the U.S., with an undefined campus and some seemingly odd locations for classes (one of my courses first met in a high-rise business office across from the train station, I was sure that I was in the wrong place). Most of my classes are held in the SLI (SprachLehr Institut = language program) office or another one of it's buildings. I also have two other classes held in lecture halls.

The Platz der Weißen Rose (Place of the White Rose) is the quad/square area in the middle of the main university buildings. Named after the student-run group that opposed Nazi Germany, this is where many students can be found enjoying a beer and food between classes. Café Europa is a type of dining hall/café where students and non-students (it is cheaper if you pay with your UniCard though) can eat conveniently on campus.

I do not know much about the dining commons (or Mensas), as I usually go home to eat, but I have been to the Mensa Rempartstraße. The food is pretty tasty and really cheap. You pay by weight, which is convenient if you don't feel like eating a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment